Read in Español
Because there are different nutrients in different parts of the plant, try to make sure you are getting some food from each part. One way to do this is to visualize the whole plant while making your food selection. For example, you can start with the roots of a plant and move upwards through the stems, leaves and flowers to the fruits and seeds.
Remember, each nutrient provides its own special function for the body, but no nutrient acts independently of others. All of the nutrients should be present in the diet, though in varying quantities, for the body to stay healthy.
- ROOTS beets, potatoes, carrots, onions
- STEMS celery, rhubarb, bok choy, asparagas
- LEAVES lettuce, spinach, kale, chard
- FRUITS apples, oranges, bananas, tomatoes
- SEEDS shelled peas, shelled beans, grains
- FLOWERS Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower