Cucumber and Kale Open-faced Sandwich
The layer of kale and mustard together in this sandwich is delicious, particularly when you use a great mustard.
- Spread the toasted bread generously with hummus. Sprinkle the green onion, cilantro, and kale evenly over the hummus.
- Slice the cucumber into 8 rounds and spread each round with a thin layer of mustard.
- Place the cucumber rounds, mustard-side down, on top of the cilantro-kale layer and press down, if necessary, so they stay in place.
- Sprinkle the open-faced sandwich generously with lemon pepper, cut in half or quarters, if desired, and serve.
- We love True Natural Taste Sweet and Spicy Creamy White Mustard, available at truenaturaltaste.com.
Reprinted from The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook by arrangement with Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2014, Ann Crile Esselstyn and Jane Esselstyn.