Potato & Barley Rice Paper Rolls
Prep: 45 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Yield: 24 rolls
These hearty plant-based rolls made with potato and barley will definitely satisfy any appetite.
Making the stuffing
- Soak barley overnight or all day and then boil for about 15 minutes until soft. Drain excess water and place in a bowl.
- In a different pot while barley is cooking, boil cubed potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain excess water when finished and place in bowl with barley.
- Chop sun-dried tomatoes and olives into small pieces.
- Chop onion and mince garlic cloves. Sautée covered on pan with 2 Tbsp of water for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add water 1 Tbsp at a time if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add marjoram, oregano, sage, cinnamon, tomatoes and olives to onions and garlic. Stir well and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Pour the herb-onion mixture into the bowl with the potato and barley and stir well.
- Finally add salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well
Rolling and Baking
- Heat oven to 355 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take a bowl with warm water and soak a rice paper wrapper until it’s soft or follow the instructions on the package.
- Lay the soft rice paper wrapper on chopping board. Take 2 Tbsp of stuffing and place it almost in the middle of the paper (a bit closer you). Fold the edge of the paper closest to you over the filling, fold in the sides, and then roll up tightly. Place on baking sheet. Repeat until you’ve finished the stuffing (or papers).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the rolls are golden and crispy.
- The baking time greatly depends on your oven. Make sure to check frequently when baking.
- You can refrigerate the stuffing in a sealed container for up to three days.
- To make gluten-free rolls, replace barley with rice, buckwheat, or quinoa.