Stuffed Mushroom Caps
Total: 30 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
A perfectly plant-based and oil-free mushroom appetizer is a welcome addition to the spread at any party.
- 24 extra-large mushrooms
- 2 cups packed, chopped fresh spinach, drained well
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup water
- 3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- Salt/pepper to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Clean mushrooms, remove stems and set them aside. Place stem side up, on a non-stick or parchment lined baking sheet. Finely chop mushroom stems.
- Sauté onion and garlic in water in a large pan. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add chopped mushroom stems and cook for 2 more minutes. Add spinach and soy sauce. Cook for another 2 minutes or so, until spinach is wilted.
- Stir in bread crumbs. Cook over low heat until all of the moisture is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a small amount of the spinach mixture in each mushroom cap. Repeat until all are filled.
- Bake, uncovered at 350° for 15-20 minutes.