Applesauce Cinnamon Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
Perfect for breakfast or a snack. Dark, moist, and scattered with raisins & fresh apple bits.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, brown sugar (if using).
- In medium bowl, whisk together apple sauce, water, vanilla, vinegar, and date paste (if using).
- Pour well-blended wet mixture into large bowl with dry ingredients.
- Peel and dice ½ cup apples, add to bowl, along with raisins, and mix well.
- Spoon batter into a silicon muffin baking non-stick pan or paper muffin cups. I recommend the silicon pan because these seem to stick to paper cups after baking. Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, and serve.
Tips – Date Paste Recipe
- Soak ½ cup of dates in ½ cup of water overnight or approximately 8 hours.
- Remove dates from water and set the water aside.
- Purée dates in food processor or blender.
- Add a few tablespoons of soaking water to the date puree and continue to blend. Blend until the date paste is creamy.
- Add more soaking water if needed.