When I first saw carrot dog recipes all over the web, done in a variety of ways, I thought it sounded very strange. But I’m an adventurist when it comes to plant-based foods, so I had to give it a try. Surprisingly, they’re so good that even my omnivore friends love them! I am not sure where this idea originated, but many thanks to the creator.
- Peel the carrots, trim the ends, and cut them to the length of your hot dog buns.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until tender but not mushy. Drain the carrots in a colander and put them under cold running water. This shocks them and prevents them from getting any softer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, water, tamari, molasses, liquid smoke, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper. Transfer the marinade to a large ziptop bag and add the cooled carrots. Toss gently to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the carrots from the marinade and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until heated through and slightly browned.
- Serve the carrots in the hot dog buns with your choice of toppings.