What really makes this dish is the salad served on top. This recipe is from The China Study Cookbook: Over 120 Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes.
Read in Español
For the Salad
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable broth in a large stock pot and sauté the onion and garlic over medium-high heat until soft. Add green pepper, squash and 2 more tablespoons vegetable broth. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add water, tomato paste, beans and oregano. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. If needed, add an additional 1/2 cup water. Season with salt.
- While the beans are cooking, make the salad. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Serve beans over rice and top with salad.
- Black or red beans can be substituted for the pinto beans.
- To save time, you can use frozen butternut squash.
- What really makes this dish is the salad served on top. The crunchy freshness of the vegetables and the tanginess of the dressing make for a perfect combination.