Hearty Vegan Lasagna
This vegan lasagna is a family recipe that is full of fresh vegetables and is simple to make. I use whole wheat pasta sheets which are easy to find in most supermarkets but can be substituted for gluten-free options.
Read in Español
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare eggplants, squash and peppers and place in oven. Keep an eye on them as the eggplant and peppers won’t take long to cook.
- As the vegetables are baking dice up the large onion and cook until caramelized.
- Add oregano and tomato paste and stir well.
- Add the diced tomatoes stirring thoroughly and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from oven and allow them to cool slightly.
- Steam the chard/spinach until just soft.
- Place 2 pasta sheets on the bottom of a baking dish (you may have to add a very small amount of oil to the bottom of the dish to ensure they will not stick).
- Layer the eggplants over the pasta sheets.
- Add chard/spinach on top of the eggplant then layer the peppers and squash.
- Add 2 more pasta sheets.
- Top the lasagna with sauce and cover with foil.
- Return to the oven and cook for approximately 25 minutes or until a sharp knife can easily cut through the pasta.
- Top with fresh basil leaves and nutritional yeast (optional).