Wild Rice Stuffed Carnival Squash
Yield: 24 servings
Wash and drain each type of rice separately before cooking with water. Delicata or acorn squash can be substituted for carnival squash.
- Wash and cut the squash in half lengthwise, leaving the seeds in. Place squash on a glass baking dish or stainless baking pan, with the inside facing downward.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Place ¼ inch of water in the dish. Bake at 350 degrees F, until soft, approximately 1½ hours.
- Wash both types of rice separately. Then combine the rice, and add water and a large pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 45 to 50 minutes.
- Move rice to a large bowl.
- Sauté onions in water until translucent. Add sage, basil, thyme, rosemary and sauté another 3 minutes. Add this mixture to the cooked rice.
- Stir in toasted pumpkin seeds, toasted walnuts, currants, parsley and celery.
- Add tamari and vinegar.
- When the squash is soft, remove from the oven and scoop the seeds out with a spoon. Place the squash back in the pan, with the inside facing up and fill with a rounded heap of the rice mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes more.