Creamy Vegan Alfredo Sauce
Creamy and cheesy, while light and filling, this recipe flavorful to the point of distraction. If you’re transitioning to a vegan diet and craving mac and cheese, give this recipe a try!
- Bring two medium pots of water to a boil over high heat.
- In first pot, prepare fettuccine or other pasta according to package directions.
- In the second pot, add cauliflower and cook until tender, 7-10 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower and place in a high speed blender along with nutritional yeast, soymilk, cashews, onion powder, salt and lemon juice.
- Purée until smooth and pour over cooked pasta. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
In my non-vegan life I was never really a fan of alfredo. Despite a love for cream and cheese, alfredo was never all that appealing. It always seemed rather flavorless and heavy. Vegan alfredo, however, is an entirely different story. Creamy and cheesy, while light and filling, it’s flavorful to the point of distraction. If you’re transitioning to a vegan diet and craving mac and cheese, give this recipe a try!
In this recipe I used an orange cauliflower, but a traditional white cauliflower is perfectly fine. The colored versions of cauliflower are much more nutritious than their more recent white counterparts (1), but the white cauliflower is certainly no slouch.