Oats & Cannellini Bean Garlic ‘Cheese’ Sauce
This recipe is probably the quickest “cheese-like” sauce that can be made without pre-cooking whole grains, and yet still have wonderful texture, great taste, and lots of nutrition when cooked. Takes about 10 minutes!
- Rinse and drain beans (to remove salt).
- Using a blender or food processor, starting first with the beans only, pulse a few times, then add the rest of the ingredients, reserving the water to add slowly while increasing the processing speed and gauging the thickness of the batter until it’s a smooth and thick pancake-like batter.
- Pour sauce over the top of your pizza, sprinkle with ground black pepper or red paprika, and bake your pizza in at 425 to 450 degree F. for 15 to 20 minutes (or until brown). Enjoy!
- A little chili powder, red Tabasco sauce, or paprika will spice up the topping sauce a bit, depending upon your pizza fillings.
- If not using chili-garlic sauce, add 2 cloves of garlic to the blender and 1 to 2 T. of paprika for flavor and color.
- Great Northern Beans or other white beans can be used instead of cannellini beans.
- For extra “body,” add 1/4 cup raw unsalted cashews or sunflower seeds when blending, with extra water as needed.
- If not using nutritional yeast, add 1 to 1 1/2 T. of your favorite wet mustard to the blending process.
- Makes around 3 cups of sauce (for two 1 lb. pizzas, 12″ to 14″). Leftover sauce will play nice with cooked pasta, mixed into stir-frying vegetables, and as a vegetable dip.
This recipe is part of the Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Pizza.