Port Wine Mushroom Gravy
Total: 35 minutes
Yield: 16 servings
Hearty mushrooms, shallots, and a subtle sweetness from Port wine come together in this satisfying vegan gravy.
- Preheat a wide pan over high heat. No oil is needed. Slice the mushrooms and mince the shallot. Add the mushrooms and shallots to the hot pan. Spread into a single layer, sprinkle with salt, and let brown. Cook until mushrooms and shallots are well browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add brown rice flour and stir. Cook until flour is no longer white and absorbs much of the juices.
- Deglaze the pan with the Port wine. Scrape up any bits on the bottom of the pan. Add vegetable stock, garlic, thyme. Simmer, partially covered, at least 10 minutes.
- Gravy is ready when thick.
- You can use any variety of mushrooms, including porcini, oyster, and hen-of-the-woods.
- This can be made up to 3 days ahead of time and simply microwave or simmer before serving.