Sugar-Free Rhubarb and Fig Jam
It’s the time of the year when many of you start to make jams for winter. I decided to go for figs as sweetener as they have lower glycemic load than dates, but you can experiment with all sorts of dried berries, just pick your favourite.
- Peel and chop rhubarb and chop figs.
- Boil rhubarb in 1 cup of water for 5 minutes. You have to keep an eye on the process because it tends to boil over. Turn off the heat.
- Add chopped figs and mix well. Let the jam sit for 30 minutes.
- Pour the jam into a blender with 1 tsp. of cinnamon and blend until the figs are incorporated.
- Transfer the jam into jar(s) and let cool.
- If you plan to use the jam in 3-4 days, just cool it and put into fridge.
- Should you want to conserve the jam for longer, pour it (while still hot) into sterilized bottles or jars. Sterilize the jars in oven – place the jars face down on oven rack and heat them (212 degrees F, 100 degrees C) for 15-20 minutes. Cover tightly.
- with clean lids and let cool at room temperature.