Bean Stew With Parsnip Mash
This healthy, gluten-free recipe is a vegan take on a classic recipe Beef Stew in Red Wine Sauce. Traditional beef is replaced with hearty Mayacoba beans. You can simmer it in your Slow Cooker, the oven, or right on the stove.
- The day before: Cover the beans with a few inches of water and soak at least 8 hours.
- To cook the beans: Drain and rinse the soaked beans. Place the pre-soaked beans in a small pot. Cover with a couple inches of water. Place a lid on the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until the beans are tender, about 60-75 minutes. Meanwhile, make the stew and Parsnip Mash.
- For the Red Wine Stew: Dice the onion and celery.
- In a large pot. combine the onion and celery with the thyme and smoked paprika. Cover and sweat over medium heat, 3-5 minutes, until the paprika is aromatic and the onions have softened. When the onions start to turn golden, add the brown rice flour. Cook just until the flour is absorbed, only 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
- Wash and quarter the mushrooms.
- Add the mushrooms, red wine, bay leaves, pearl onions, carrots, and 2 cups of water. Cover, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Partially open the lid to allow some liquid to steam off.
- Cook for at least 1 hour.
- For the Parsnip Mash: Peel the parsnips. Cut the potato and parsnips into large chunks.
- Place the potato and parsnip in a medium pot. Cover with water. Place a lid on the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until the parsnip can easily be pierced and slide off a knife.
- Drain the parsnips and potato. Return the parsnips and potato to the hot pot where they cooked. Add the almond milk and start mashing. Mash to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- To finish the stew: The beans are done cooking when they are tender and start to fall apart. Drain the the cooked beans and add to the stew. Partially cover and simmer 30-60 minutes. You can also cook in your Slow Cooker, on low, for 6-8 hours. Or, in a 350F oven, for up to 2 hours.
- Serve the Stew over the Parsnip Mash. Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Mayacoba beans are firm, white beans. You can substitute with cannellini, giant lima beans, or navy beans.