Cavolo Nero: Kale and White Bean Soup
This vegan oil-free recipe is based on the classic Italian Beans ‘n Greens Soup. It’s name comes from the dark Cavolo Nero kale (aka Tuscan, Lacinato, or Dino kale), but you can use any dark greens like escarole, spinach, or arugula.
- To make the soup: Dice the onion and carrot. Mince the garlic.
- Place the onion, carrot, and garlic in a medium pot with rosemary, bay, red chili, basil, and 1 cup water. Cover and sweat until onions are translucent.
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Add the beans and vegetable stock to the pot. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, strip kale leaves. Discard stems. Chop leaves into bite sized pieces.
- When the carrots are tender, turn off the heat. Add chopped kale and nutritional yeast. Stir well then cover so that the kale steams in the soup.
- Stir in the diced tomato and taste to adjust seasoning.
- This soup is a great base for using up any dark greens. Baby spinach, arugula, and all types of kale work well. This is also a great base to experiment with more unusual greens like mustard, turnip, and chard.