Gingered Broccoli Noodle Soup
This recipe is from The Great Life Cookbook: Whole Food, Vegan, Gluten-Free Meals for Large Gatherings by Priscilla Timberlake and Lewis Freedman.
- Separate broccoli stems from tops. Remove tough outer layer from stems and cut stems into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Separate broccoli tops into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Cook, strain and cool noodles. Set aside.
- Sauté tofu in non-stick pan for 3 to 4 minutes. Add 4 teaspoons tamari and sauté another 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Place wakame or alaria seaweed in 4 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium, add onions and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove sea vegetable and cut into small pieces, returning it to the pot.
- Add ginger, remaining tamari and mirin.
- Continue cooking on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, parsnips and stems of broccoli. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Gently stir in noodles and sautéed tofu. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add broccoli tops. Simmer until broccoli is tender, about 2 or 3 minutes.