Kale and White Bean Soup
Total: 40 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
This hearty soup is packed with veggies and beans. A perfect meal for a cold winter evening.
- Heat vegetable broth in large soup pot on low. Saute carrots, celery, garlic and shallot in broth until soft about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Add kale and yam. Reduce heat to medium, keeping a slow boil. Cook for an additional ten minutes, until yam is tender.
- Add pasta and cook for an additional ten minutes until pasta is tender.
- Add beans, salt, pepper and pumpkin pie spice. Heat 1-2 minutes until fully incorporated and beans are heated through.
- Discard bay leaf and serve. Top each bowl with 1 T. pumpkin seeds and a half-slice of lemon.
Sandra Sellani is a 55-year old vegan who wants to help others look and feel their best in the second-half of life. She is a graduate of the Matthew Kenney Culinary Academy (plant-based) in Santa Monica, California and has a Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition from the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell.