Lentil and Tomato Stew
Stews are my favourite thing for lunch lately. I like them very hearty, made of legumes and with some vegetables to give colour. I usually also add some chard, kale, or parsley to garnish the meal.
- Soak lentils for 6‐8 hours.
- Through the ingredients listed in the first table into a medium pot. Add enough water to almost cover the ingredients. Bring to boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Now, add tomato puree and mix well. Bring to boil and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add extra water if necessary.
- When the stew is done, mix in peanut butter. Make sure it’s well incorporated.
- Garnish with greens (onion, parsley, coriander) and nutritional yeast.
- If you don’t like the taste of cumin seeds (I know that some people don’t), then just leave them out or substitute with caraway seeds, should you enjoy those.
- Use any lentils that you have in hand – red, brown, or green. Remember that red lentils are ready much quicker.
- If you do not have time to soak the lentils, make sure to wash them thoroughly and add more water while preparing.