Lentil and Tomato Stew
Stews are one of my favorite meals for lunch. I like them very hearty, made of legumes and lots of vegetables. I usually also add some chard, kale, or parsley to garnish the meal.
- Soak lentils for 6‐8 hours.
- Put all the ingredients except for the peanut butter and tomato puree into a medium pot. Add enough water to almost cover the ingredients. Bring to boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add extra water if necessary.
- When the stew is done, mix in the peanut butter. Make sure it’s well incorporated.
- Garnish with greens (onion, parsley, coriander) and nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.
- If you don’t like the taste of cumin seeds, try caraway seeds.
- Use any lentils that you have in hand – red, brown, or green. Remember that red lentils cook more quickly.
- If you do not have time to soak the lentils, add more water while preparing and leave more time for them to cook.