Total: 45 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
This dairy-free mushroom soup is delicious served with a dark bread. To round out the meal, add a hearty flavorful salad.
- To brown and soften the onions, heat 1/2 cup of water in a large pot and add the onions. Cook over high heat, stirring often, until the onions are soft and all the water has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add another 1/4 cup of water, stir to loosen any bits of onion that have stuck to the pan, and continue cooking until most of the water has evaporated and onions begin to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and spices. Lower the heat slightly, cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the soy sauce and stock. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- In a separate pan, mix 1 Tbsp water and flour to form a thick paste. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute then whisk in the non-dairy milk and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until steamy and slightly thickened.
- Add the milk mixture to the soup. Stir in the lemon juice just before serving.
- When choosing mushrooms, select firm ones.