Squash & Chickpea Stew
This stew was inspired by the best vegan buffet I’ve ever encountered – MIOBIO in Valencia, Spain. We had several great lunches there and on one occasion a deliciously sweet and hearty pumpkin-chickpea stew was served. I decided to recreate an oil-free version at home.
- Sauté onion and garlic with a few Tbsp of water for 3 minutes.
- Add butternut squash and chickpeas and enough water to cover the ingredients by ⅓.
- Bring to boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- With an immersion blender, blend a few times directly in the pot to give the stew more thickness.
- Add a splash of coconut milk and salt to taste, stir and serve.
- Use any squash suitable for soups and stews – hubbard, kabocha, or pumpkin.
- Add a little curry powder for additional flavor
- Green the stew up buy adding some chopped kale, chard or spinach a few minutes before the stew is done.