Squash & Chickpea Stew
I’ve made pumpkin stew with chickpeas, cauliflower, tomato sauce and spinach before, but never tried with just two main ingredients. I actually got inspired by the best vegan buffet I’ve ever encountered – Mio Bio in Valencia. We had several great lunches there and on one occasion a deliciously sweet and hearty pumpkin-chickpea stew was served. I decided to recreate the dish at home, also making it oil-free.
- Sauté onion and garlic with a few Tbsp of water for 3 minutes.
- Add butternut squash cubes and chickpeas and enough water to cover the ingredients by ⅓.
- Bring to boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- With an immerse blender, blend a few times directly in the pot to give the stew more thickness.
- Add a splash of coconut milk and salt to taste, stir and serve.
- Use any squash suitable for soups and stews – hubbard, kabocha, or pumpkin.
- You can add some spices should you want to – curry and any kind of pepper.
- Green the stew up buy adding some chopped kale, chard or spinach 3-7 minutes (depending on what you use) before the stew is done.