Green jackfruit is often referred to as the vegetarian’s meat. It is the fruit of a tree native to Asia. When green jackfruit cooks, it begins to pull apart, taking on an appearance similar to pulled pork. The hardest part of this recipe is finding canned green jackfruit (available in most Asian markets).
- Rinse the green jackfruit thoroughly.
- Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on medium heat for 4–5 hours. Jackfruit will begin to fall apart and have the consistency of pulled pork.
- After cooking for 4–5 hours, use a fork to pull apart the fruit and stir thoroughly.
- Turn the slow cooker to low heat and cook for another 1–2 hours.
- Make this recipe your own with whatever barbecue sauce you decide to use. It’s really up to you, since there are so many barbecue flavors available. Be sure to choose sauces with no added oils and a low sodium content.
- This recipe gets better the longer you cook it. The jackfruit falls apart like tender pulled pork and absorbs flavor perfectly. In fact, we like it better as leftovers!
- Serve this recipe on a whole wheat bun and top with coleslaw. This goes perfectly with baked sweet potato fries!