Beet and Taro Chip Nachos with Guacamole and Pico de Gallo
Marley Ficalora gets creative in his Produce Shopping Challenge by making Golden Beet & Taro Chip Nachos with black beans, fresh Pico de Gallo and fresh Guacamole.
- 1 taro root
- 3 golden beets
- 1 15-oz can of black beans
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Sea salt (optional)
- Pepper (optional)
- Start by peeling the taro root and golden beets. Then slice them into thin chips and add them to a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Add some salt to the chips and bake at 450 degrees F for 45 minutes or until the chips become crispy.
- Next add a can of black beans to a pot with salt and pepper. Cook on low heat and stir to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- For the guacamole, peel and slice your avocado. Add the avocado to a bowl with a ¼ of the diced sweet onion, ½ of the diced jalapeño and an ⅛ cup chopped cilantro. Then squeeze half of a lime into the bowl along with a pinch of sea salt. Lastly, mix everything with a fork.
- For the pico de gallo, dice your vine tomatoes and add them to a bowl with ¼ of the diced sweet onion, ½ of the diced jalapeño and an ⅛ cup chopped cilantro. Then squeeze half of a lime into the bowl along with a pinch of sea salt. Lastly, use a fork to mix everything together.
- Place your taro and beet chips on a plate and top them with your warm black beans a scoop of guacamole and a scoop of pico de gallo. Garnish with a little fresh cilantro and enjoy!