Eggplant and Mushrooms With Peanut Sauce
Total: 45 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Transform peanut butter into a savory sauce that brings out the richness of cooked eggplant and mushrooms.
- Cut eggplant into roughly 1-inch chunks and soak in lightly salted water to cover for 15 minutes.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and quarter the mushrooms. Water sauté the onions in pan until soft.
- Add eggplant water mixture and mushrooms into the onions. Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is soft (5-10 minutes). Remove cover and continue to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- In a blender, mix together peanut butter and ¼ cup water or vegetable broth. When the mixture is smooth and creamy add the agave syrup, soy sauce and vinegar and mix until the mixture is smooth again.
- Pour sauce over sautéed vegetables in the skillet. Simmer, stirring, for a minute or two until the sauce has thickened and thoroughly coated the vegetables. Serve hot with your favorite rice, steamed green beans or other green vegetable.