Philly Portobello Steak Sandwich
When I lived near Philly, I got hooked on Philly Cheesesteaks. I was so excited to create these plant-based “steak” hoagies using mushrooms, peppers, and onions with all the original flavor but without any fake meat or cheese. Even the most skeptical meat eaters will fall in love with them!
- 6 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced into half moons
- ½ orange or yellow bell pepper sliced in strips
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 Tbsp steak sauce
- 2 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp mirin or white wine
- 6 whole grain buns
- Tofu mayo to taste
- 1 12.3 oz package of firm silken tofu
- 1 Tbsp rice or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp raw or date sugar
- Sauté the onions and peppers for 1 minute adding some vegetable broth or water if needed.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Toast the buns and spread some tofu mayo if desired.
- Fill the hoagie buns with the veggies and serve immediately.
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Chill for at least an hour before using.
- You may have to go to a health food store to purchase the steak sauce and vegan worcestershire sauces as most popular brands contain animal products or high fructose corn syrup.