15-ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
medium yellow onion, chopped
cloves garlic, chopped
fresh parsley, chopped
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Add everything to a food processor and process, leaving a little texture to the beans.
3. Using a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon, shape the mixture into balls. Place on a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
4. Turn the falafel over and bake for another 8–10 minutes.
1. Variation—Breakfast Falafel Patties: Follow steps 1 and 2 in the recipe above, adding ½ teaspoon of ground fennel seeds and ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes. Using a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon, shape the mixture into balls. Place them on a nonstick baking sheet and press them to ½-inch thickness. Bake them as above.
2. Make It Easy: If you happen to have baked sweet potatoes on hand, you can use them in place of the garbanzo beans. You’ll need 1¾ cups of mashed sweet potatoes. The added sweetness of the earthy potatoes makes great falafel, and it’s a nice way to sneak another serving of vegetables into your family’s food.