This traditional moist carrot cake has no added oils and plenty of healthy carrots, applesauce, walnuts, and raisins. Top it with fresh fruit or soy yogurt and now you have a delicious treat!
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
Total: 50 mins
Yield: 8 servings
(just over ½ cup) hot water
finely processed or shredded carrots
whole wheat pastry flour
Pumpkin Pie Spice
finely chopped walnuts
raw cashews or cashew butter
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 × 12 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the flax meal and water. Let stand for 1–2 minutes.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the Sucanat, applesauce, milk, vanilla, carrots, and flax meal mixture.
4. In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Add to the applesauce mixture along with the walnuts and raisins. Gently mix until all the ingredients are wet. Do not overmix.
5. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon.
6. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
1. Place all frosting ingredients into a Vitamix or other high-powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
2. Refrigerate for 1–2 hours so the frosting will thicken.
1. The frosting can easily be made into a chocolate frosting by adding 1/4 cup or so of unsweetened cocoa powder. How much depends on how dark and rich you want the chocolate flavor.
2. If you do not have a high-powered blender, you may want to soak the cashews beforehand or use cashew butter instead of raw cashews