This recipe achieves the signature sweet and savory flavor associated with Tacos Al Pastor by substituting pork with soy curls marinated in spices and pineapple juice. Top with diced onion, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime for a truly delicious and satisfying meal.
1. Add the boiling water, chiles, and onion to a bowl. Wait for the water to cool.
2. Once cooled, add the water, chiles, and onion to a blender with the rest of the ingredients. Process until smooth.
Marinated Soy Curls
1. Soak the soy curls in vegetable broth for 30 minutes.
2. Add the adobo sauce and marinate for at least an hour.
3. Cook the marinated soy curls in a saucepan for 10–15 minutes.
1. Warm each tortilla in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Fill each tortilla with the marinated soy curls. Top with your choice of diced onions, cilantro, diced fresh pineapple, diced avocado, lime wedges, and tomatillo sauce or your favorite hot sauce.
1. You can use extra-firm tofu or mushrooms instead of soy curls. If using tofu, just cut into cubes and bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees F. Skip the soaking step and marinate in the Adobo Sauce for at least an hour. If using tofu, just slice or shred and marinade in the Adobo Sauce.
2. Soycurls can be ordered online via Amazon or directly from the manufacturer at www.butlerfoods.com.