Reprinted from The Mediterranean Plate by Debbie Adler (Independently published, 2022).
2 ½ Tbsp
head cauliflower, cut into florets
mellow white miso paste
Corn grits for dusting
Pistachio Pesto Sauce
cloves garlic, minced
coconut nectar or maple syrup
unsweetened plant-based milk
Sautéed mushrooms and onions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet or pizza stone with parchment paper.
2. Add the flaxseed and water to a small bowl, whisk to combine, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. While the water is coming to a boil, add the cauliflower florets to a food processor and pulse until they look like rice.
4. Add the "riced" cauliflower to the boiling water and cook until the cauliflower is soft, about 10 minutes. Once cooked, drain the water and allow the cauliflower to cool.
5. Add the oat flour, nutritional yeast, miso, oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder to a medium bowl and stir to combine.
6. Once the cauliflower is cool, squeeze out as much of the moisture as possible by placing it in a cheesecloth or nut milk bag. Add the cauliflower to the oat flour mixture and then add the refrigerated flaxseed mixture. Stir to combine until a dough forms.
7. Dust the prepared baking sheet or pizza stone with the corn grits and place the cauliflower dough on top. Press the cauliflower dough into a flat, oblong shape about ¼-inch thick.
8. Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until it gets crispy around the edges.
9. Spread the pesto evenly on the baked flatbread. Add desired toppings and bake for an additional 8 minutes. Serve immediately.
1. Add the basil, garlic, pistachios, lemon juice, miso, and coconut nectar to a food processor. Pulse to combine. While the machine is running, add the plant-based milk 1 tablespoon at a time until the pesto is smooth.