Traditional French fries are my biggest “high fat” weakness, so I am motivated to cut and bake my own fries that are both healthy and satisfying. This recipe has all the crunchiness of traditional French fries without all the fat.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 40 mins
Total: 50 mins
Yield: 4 servings
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Peel or scrub the potatoes, then cut them lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Stack a few potato slices at a time and cut them into thin matchsticks.
3. Put the potatoes in a large pot and pour in enough vinegar to cover them. Cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Do not cook the potatoes for any longer than 10 minutes or they will become too soft and will not crisp up in the oven. Drain the potatoes in a colander but do not rinse them.
4. Place the potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle them with the nutritional yeast and salt (if using) to taste.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
1. I sometimes add fresh or dried dill to the potatoes before baking for a dill pickle flavor.