Total: 45 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Perfect for a cold day, this hearty plant-based stew with squash, corn and beans is sure to please
- Heat ½ cup water or stock and soy sauce in a large pot, then add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until the onion is soft and most of the water has evaporated.
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds, then peel it and cut it into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add the squash to the onions, along with the chopped tomatoes, 1 cup of water, oregano, chili powder, cumin, and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until the squash is just tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans with their liquid and the corn. Continue cooking another 5 minutes.
- For a festive look, serve it in a hollowed out bread bowl or pumpkin.