Balsamic rice vinegar and seasoned rice vinegar to taste
1. Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable broth in a large stock pot and sauté the onion and garlic over medium-high heat until soft. Add green pepper, squash and 2 more tablespoons vegetable broth. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
2. Add water, tomato paste, beans, cilantro and oregano. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. If needed, add an additional 1/2 cup water. Season with salt.
3. While the beans are cooking, make the salad. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
4. Serve beans over rice and top with salad.
1. Black or red beans can be substituted for the pinto beans.
2. To save time, you can use frozen butternut squash.
3. What really makes this dish is the salad served on top. The crunchy freshness of the vegetables and the tanginess of the dressing make for a perfect combination.