Total: 20 minutes
Prep: 7 minutes
Cook: 13 minutes
Yield: 2½ cups
This versatile recipe can be used in Nachos, Mac and Cheese, or even a Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
- 1½ cups finely diced russet potatoes (about 1 medium potato)
- ¼ cup finely diced red bell pepper
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp raw cashews
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp sea salt (optional), or to taste
- Combine the potato, bell pepper, onion, and cashews in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium, and cook until the potatoes are very tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the vegetables, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking water.
- Combine the potato mixture, reserved cooking water, tahini, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, arrowroot powder, and sea salt in a blender. Process on high until everything is smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Store the sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Makes about 2½ cups.
- The secret to a creamy cheese sauce is in making sure the potatoes are well cooked (they should be very tender when poked with a fork), and then pureeing the potato mixture for several minutes to break down the starch in the potatoes.