Roasted peppers are a part of many dishes there, and they really pack a punch of flavor.
extra firm silken tofu, drained
red bell pepper, roasted, seeded, and coarsely chopped (see note)
chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, more or less to taste (optional)
cloves garlic, peeled and minced
Zest and juice of 1 lime
Salt to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth and creamy.
2. Store refrigerated for up to 7 days.
1. To roast red bell peppers, hold them over an open flame and roast them until black, turning as needed to roast all sides. Place them in a plastic bag and let them cool. When they are cool, peel the skin off. Do not rinse them, or you will lose all of the roasted flavor.
2. You can use jarred fire-roasted red peppers instead.
3. For a milder version of this recipe omit or cut in half the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. You may add a teaspoon of smoked paprika in its place.