Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite plant-powered ingredients. I use them in everything from dips to stews to casseroles desserts. One of my family’s favorite ways to enjoy them is in fry form. I switch up the seasonings some nights, and this is one version our family really loves.
Reprinted from Plant-Powered Families by Dreena Burton (BenBellaBooks, 2015).
orange sweet potatoes
pure maple syrup or agave nectar
chipotle hot sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut the potatoes into wedges. This is easiest by cutting in half and then, depending on the size, cutting 3–4 wedges from each half.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the garlic powder, Dijon mustard, smoked paprika, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and hot sauce. Add the wedges to the mixture and toss to coat. Spread on the prepared baking sheet, and pour over any remaining liquid. Sprinkle on the sea salt.
5. Bake for 50–65 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes have softened and caramelized in spots, rotating/flipping the wedges once or twice through baking.
6. Taste, and season with extra sea salt if desired. Serve!