Using a pressure cooker makes this recipe extra easy, and using two different kinds of cherries makes all the difference. The balance between sweet and tart, the gorgeous color, and the loads of antioxidants make this a bold breakfast that you won’t want to skip.
Reprinted from The Plant-Based For Life Cookbook (Brooklyn Writers Press, 2022).
steel cut oats
unsweetened vanilla almond milk
frozen tart cherries
frozen sweet cherries
1 ½ tsp
Extra fresh fruit, if desired for serving
1. Combine all ingredients in an electric pressure cooker.
2. Lock the lid in place, and seal the valve. Select High Pressure with the timer set for 3-5 minutes.
3. After the cooking is complete, use either natural release (for thicker oatmeal), or the quick release method (for a chewier bite) to release the pressure. When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
4. Serve warm, with additional fresh fruit if desired.
1. You can cook on the stove top for 20 minutes.
2. To bake, add 1 extra cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (4 cups, instead of 3) and bake it in a 9” x 13” pan at 350 degrees F for 45-55 minutes.