Applesauce can be made with peeled apples and a variety of spices. Flavorings or sweeteners such as cinnamon are also commonly added. It’s our absolute favorite dessert, straight from my jars. The sauce is equally delicious without the cashew cream and I have been known to eat it straight from the jar.
1. Drain the cashews and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a blender and add the dates and vanilla extract. Pour in half a cup of cold filtered water. Blend on high for 2 to 3 minutes, until very smooth and creamy. Add more water if too thick. The cream will thicken as it sits. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Wash and peel the fruit, remove the cores and slice them into bite-sized chunks.
3. Place in a pot with a little filtered water or apple juice and add a pinch of sea salt. Simmer covered on a very low heat until the fruit is soft.
4. When the apples are cooked, either mash with a potato masher or blend with an immersion blender.
5. Stir in the fresh ginger juice and serve this delicious and easy dessert topped with cashew cream (optional), crunchy granola and a slice of apple.
1. I make my own granola but for quickness you can purchase granola. Read the labels and look for a brand that does not add sugars.
2. Remove the cashew cream for a more low-fat recipe.