Classic shepherd's pie is made with some sort of meat base topped with mashed potatoes and baked golden brown. It’s as attractive as it is tasty, making it the perfect holiday meal. This version uses the best produce of the season, for an alternative that is tasty, filling, and very healthy.
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes until the onions turn translucent. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed, to keep the onions from sticking to the pan.
2. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sage, thyme, and rosemary, and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the celery, carrots, turnips, fennel, vegetable broth. Cook for 15–20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
5. Add more vegetable broth if the stew is too thick.
6. Add the beans, and spoon the stew into a 9x13-inch casserole dish with high sides.
7. Spoon the mashed potatoes over the stew, sprinkle with bread crumble, and bake for 30 minutes until the bread crumbs are lightly browned.