I like mashed potatoes as much as the next person, but since I no longer add unhealthy fats to my foods, I have looked for other ways to make my mashed potatoes creamy. Adding vegetables like parsnips is one of my favorite ways. They look like a white carrot but have a mild tang to them that elevates an otherwise plain potato. If you don’t like parsnips, carrots or other root vegetables work just as well.
parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
Sea salt to taste
White pepper to taste
1. Wash and peel the potatoes, and cut them into 1-inch chunks.
2. Place the potatoes in a pot with the parsnips. Add just enough water to cover the vegetables, and bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until tender, about 12–15 minutes.
4. Drain the vegetables, reserving the cooking liquid.
5. Mash the vegetables with a hand masher. Add more cooking liquid if necessary until you reach the desired consistency.