The blend of spices in this dish produces bold, smoky flavors and mouth watering aromas. The robustness of the potatoes and cabbage pairs really well with the sweetness of the red bell pepper and carrot!
1. Sauté mirepoix (onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and carrots) in a wide, heavy-bottomed skillet for about 10 minutes on medium-low, stirring frequently. Add vegetable broth as needed, one tablespoon at a time, to prevent sticking.
2. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
3. Add ½ cup of broth along with onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, black pepper, and Tony Chachere’s. Stir to combine.
4. Simmer on medium-low for about 3 minutes.
5. Add potatoes and stir. Add cabbage and remaining vegetable broth. Cover and simmer on medium-low for 5 minutes before stirring everything to combine well.
6. Keep covered and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add the peas, stir, cover, and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
1. Substitute the Tony Chachere’s Lite Creole Seasoning with any seasoning of your choice and add ½ tsp of dried cayenne.