Autumn Split Pea Soup with Barley
Autumn months bring forth cooling temperatures and a desire for thick, warm, satisfying soups. This split pea soup highlights the root vegetables of fall.
- Sauté onion in a big soup pot in a splash of water or broth along with celery seed.
- Add bay leaf, split peas, barley and edamame or lima beans.
- Add 7 or 8 cups water and bring to boil.
- Add celery, carrots, potato and herbs – basil, thyme, parsley and pepper.
- Lower heat and simmer covered for an 1½ hours.
- Add miso mixture or soy sauce.
- Add more seasonings if desired and serve.