This dessert is sweetened with dates and no oil is needed. You can double the ingredients for a full sized version. Just increase the baking time by 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place all crust ingredients into a food processor and process until the mixture forms a ball. Add a bit more water if needed.
- Wrap the bottom of a 6 inch springform pan with foil. Place the pan in a casserole dish large enough to accommodate it and add about 1 inch of water to the dish. This is called a bain-marie (water bath) and will help the cake from cracking on top. Don’t worry if you do get a few cracks though, you’ll be covering the top of the cake with fruit anyway.
- Press the crust into the springform pan, letting it creep up the sides a bit.
- Place all cake ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the batter over the crust, smooth the top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until the top is slightly golden brown and the center feels firm to the touch.
- Remove and let cool completely, then refrigerate overnight before unmolding.
- Gently slide a sharp knife around the edges and release the spring on the pan.
- Top with fresh fruit of your choice.
- Heat the preserves until they are liquidy. Then brush over the fruit. This will keep the fruit fresh and also add a beautiful gloss. Use any extra as a sauce.
- Store in the refrigerator. Keeps fresh for about 3 days.