Ginger Coriander Mushroom Sauce and Minty Garlic Quinoa
A vegan version of Aushak (or Ashak), an Afghan dish traditionally made of meaty tomato sauce over pasta dumplings.
Read in Español
Make the sauce
- Heat 1/2 cup of water in a pot until just starting to steam. Add the onions, garlic and ginger and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the coriander, salt, mushrooms and 1/2 cup water. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and the other 1/2 cup of water and stir.
- Cook on medium / low for 10 minutes, stirring intermittently so that the mushrooms don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add pepper, turn off heat and set aside.
Prepare the Quinoa
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of water in a skillet and sauté the garlic, green onions and mint for two minutes on medium / low heat.
- Add the quinoa, salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place a portion of the quinoa on a plate, top with the sauce and garnish with fresh mint and red pepper flakes.
To make the quinoa
- Make the quinoa a day in advance to cut down on time.
- Place 1 cup of quinoa (180g) in a pot with two cups of water (475ml).
- Bring to a boil, turn heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the water has been absorbed.