Blueberry Oatmeal Crisp
This recipe can be a breakfast or dessert and is easy to make, store and transport. I have a sweet tooth and I found that many desserts contain oil and refined sugar. I created this recipe so that I could enjoy something sweet AND healthy.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Combine oat flour, oats, flaxseed meal, baking powder and salt.
- Add water and molasses. Mix well and pour in dish on top of parchment paper.
- Mixture will set and stiffen a little while you prep the rest of the dish.
- Soak dates in 1 cup hot water for at least 1 hour to soften.
- Purée dates with 1/2 cup of soaking water in a food processor or blender. Save remaining date water.
- Take ⅔ of the date puré and mix with the berries and vanilla.
- Place in saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Add starch to 2 tbsp water and mix until smooth.
- Add starch mixture to berry mixture and increase heat so a gentle boil begins. Cook for another 2 minutes stirring often. The starch will begin to thicken the mixture. Turn off heat after 2 minutes.
- Pour blueberries on top of bottom layer in baking dish.
- Combine rolled oats with flour, remaining date purée, cinnamon, salt and remaining date water. Add more water if all oat flakes aren’t moist.
- Spread oat mixture on top of berry mixture and bake for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour after cooling to set the filling. Eat room temp or cold.