1. Wash, clean, and roughly chop the potatoes. Add them to a medium pot. Leave the skins on for a more rustic result. Remove if you don’t like them.
2. Add just enough water to cover the potatoes and bring to a boil.
3. Simmer until potatoes are very soft (20-25 min).
4. Turn off heat. Do not drain. Use a masher to break apart large potato chunks. Leave a little bit chunky if you prefer a more rustic soup. For smoother, creamier soups, mash longer or use an immersion blender.
5. Add the miso, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, and herbs and stir or mash to combine thoroughly.
6. Add some soy milk to thin the soup out if you think it is too thick, or for just a little extra creaminess.