Stewed Zucchini With Basil and Mint
Total: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Cooked low and slow, stewed zucchini and yellow squash are meltingly tender in this simple, healthy dish.
- Clean and trim the zucchini and summer squash. Cut into ½-inch thick disks.
- Place the zucchini and summer squash in a medium pot. Add the thyme, garlic, and ½ cup of water.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for about 40-45 minutes.
- After the first 20-25 minutes of cooking, use a wooden spoon to stir and break up the zucchini and summer squash a little. .
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the beans.
- Chop the basil and mint.
- Once the squash is completely melted, find and discard the thyme stem.
- Add the beans, basil, and mint. Use a wooden spoon or potato masher to mash the beans a bit.
- Cook another 1-2 minutes, just enough to warm the beans.
- Season with salt and serve.
- Enjoy warm as a side or serve with whole wheat flatbread for a tasty appetizer.
- This is a great way to use up extra squash from a bountiful garden. You can also use up other fresh herbs, like chives, chervil, parsley, and tarragon.