1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, or 1½ cups cooked cannellini beans
nutritional yeast flakes
smoked paprika, divided
100% whole wheat bread
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the beans, mustard, lemon juice, liquid smoke, nutritional yeast flakes, garlic powder, and ½ teaspoon of the smoked paprika in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
3. Cut off the crusts from the bread and flatten each piece with a rolling pin until very thin.
4. Trim the tough ends of each asparagus spear so they measure 1 to 2 inches longer than the flattened bread.
5. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the bean mixture onto a flattened slice of bread. If this seems too thick to roll, you may need to use less. Place two asparagus spears along the edge of the bread and roll it up. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
6. Place the rolls, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with the remaining ½ teaspoon smoked paprika. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the bread becomes crispy and slightly golden around the edges. Serve warm.
1. You can choose any type of bread for this recipe as long as it’s soft enough to roll out very flat.