1. Cut stem off the artichokes so they will stand upright in a pan and cut off of the very top of the artichokes to remove most of the spines at the top of the leaves.
2. Rinse thoroughly and place upright, side-by-side in a large saucepan.
3. Add about 1 inch of water. Cover and simmer artichokes for 40 minutes or until soft when pierced with a fork. Add more water if necessary to keep them from burning as you are simmering the artichokes.
4. When cooked remove artichokes with a carving fork, turn each one upside down to drain, then sit it upright on a serving plate.
5. Serve with your favorite oil-free dressing or dip.
1. To eat an artichoke, pull off a leaf, dip it in the dressing, then scrape the meaty part of the leaf off with your teeth. As you peel off leaves you will eventually get to the a spiny "choke" they have on the inside which needs to be scooped out and discarded.
2. The reward for all this effort is the creamy heart that sits underneath the leaves and the choke. Dip, eat and enjoy!