Roasting root vegetables is a classic food preparation method, and usually involves oil. However, avoiding oil has significant advantages, so I just substitute water , but you can also use veggie broth, beer or wine .
1 ½ lbs
Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped into ¾-inch cubes
1 ½ lbs
carrots, chopped into ¾-inch pieces
large onion, diced into ¼-inch pieces
water (or more, if needed)
Salt (optional) and pepper, to taste
Creole seasoning, to taste
dried dill for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place vegetables in a large nonstick roasting pan with ¼ cup water. Add the seasoning (except dill) and combine gently.
3. Roast uncovered for 40 minutes, then stir gently, and add another ¼ cup of water (or slightly more) if needed. Continue to roast for another 20 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are nice and tender. Remove from oven.
1. Use a good quality nonstick roasting pan.
2. Let your vegetables begin to caramelize before roasting.