Ginger Coriander Mushroom Sauce and Minty Garlic Quinoa
A vegan version of Aushak (or Ashak), an Afghan dish traditionally made of meaty tomato sauce over pasta dumplings.
- Water sauté 1/2 of the garlic, scallions and mint in a saucepan for two minutes on low to medium heat.
- Add the quinoa, salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add two cups of water and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the water has been absorbed.
- For the sauce, heat 1/2 cup of water in a pot until just starting to boil. Add the onions, garlic and ginger and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the coriander, salt, mushrooms and another 1/2 cup water. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and the other 1/2 cup of water and stir.
- Cook on low to medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring intermittently so that the mushrooms don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add pepper, turn off heat and set aside.
- Place a portion of the quinoa on a plate, top with the sauce and garnish with fresh mint, red pepper flakes and serve.