Curried Red Lentil & Sweet Potato Soup
Delicious and satisfying, this thick red lentil and sweet potato soup recipe can be cooked with or without a pressure cooker.
- Open the can of coconut milk and spoon a few tablespoons into the bottom of a pressure cooker.
- Turn on sauté and add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook another minute. Add the curry powder and stir until combined. Dump in the sweet potatoes, lentils, remaining coconut milk, water, and salt/pepper.
- If using the pressure cooker, lock the lid in place, bring to the highest pressure, and cook for 8 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally. (If you’re not using a pressure cooker, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook maybe about 30 minutes, stirring often. You’ll probably need to add more water, bit by bit).
- Unlock the lid of the pressure cooker and either mash the soup with a potato masher or use an immersion blender.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings with more salt or curry powder. This soup thickens quite a bit as it cools, so you may need to add more water.
- Serve topped with roasted pumpkin seeds or cilantro.